Friday 8 March 2013

The one with the puree

We decided to go for our usual walk today with my friend, but not tots group, her lil boy was being 'taken for an adventure' with his dad! aka shopping for Sunday! So we went for a walk talking about our stories of 'the birth' and everything which went with it. I love it, how when you tell people your expecting it's just like a secret society. Where people pass around the clothes and toys, and give you advise on what to expect and what people don't tell you. 

My sister also had a baby recently. My one bit of 'information' I gave her which no one ever mentions is......when people say their babies are going three hourly feeds, its not from when they finish - it's from when they start! So if your baby is, for example, on three hourly feeds that means really by the time you've fed, winded, nappy changed and topped up it only actually only gives you about another two hours still it starts all over again!

It is so much easier when they are weaning, and now I actually have a really good sleep. He goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up at 7am! Before that we were on three to four hourly (more three!) feeds and he suffered badly with reflux. But that has all settled now, he eats three meals a day and still having milk after his meal. 

I nipped into the town after the walk and picked up some meat from our local butcher for Jack. The thought of pureeing turns my stomach at the thought (he hasn't got the food, hand mouth thing yet - but we're working on it) what I do is, I have a little production line of veg ready to boil, and meat ready to cook. I cook, swede, carrots, mash, sweet potato, celeriac, parsnip, peas, green beans, sweetcorn, courgette, butternut squash, aubergine, fennel, beef, chicken etc. I have a little production line of peeling, chopping, boiling/cooking the meat, pureeing, cooling and bagging going on. I usually do a swede and parsnip, a carrot, a celeriac, a sweet potato and fennel,  a butternut squash, courgette and aubergine etc. Once pureed I let it cool and bag about a serving spoon and a half (for veg) in a sandwich bag and put them labelled in a freezer bag in the freezer - frozen veg lasts a month but it goes down much quicker. That way all I do is grab a couple of different ones and remove the contents in a cup (separately as each will take different times to heat up) and put them in the microwave for a minute. I just make sure that I stir it really well before checking the temperature before 'serving'. This way each meal he has is different. 

So, it's tea time for buster now we have mashed potato, butternut squash courgette and aubergine (not including dessert!) yummy, and for us..........it's pizza night!

Tomorrow we've been invited to one of my closest friends daughters 4th birthday party, so I better get his shirt ironed. Ohhhhh you should see what we've bought her - I might need to demonstrate part of the present! Catch us tomorrow and will post a picci or two, speak soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment